I have decided to start a blog to chronicle my journey to motherhood – and secretly hoping that quickly this blog will turn into a mommy blog! My husband and I decided to start trying to get pregnant last October. We had talked hypothetically about it for many months, but then one day just decided that it was time. We had just celebrated our first anniversary and I had just taken the last exam (out of 7) to become a licensed architect. We realized all of a sudden that we were ready – but apparently my body was not.
We are both Catholic and had been intrigued with Natural Family Planning – for both the religious and natural aspects. I had stopped using the Nuva Ring birth control that spring and had started charting using the Marquette method – temps, mucus and some more modern help from the Clearblue Easy fertility monitor. So that first month, we were already equipped with the knowledge of when exactly to do it and a pretty good understanding of how it all worked. So as the months ticked off and my period kept making it’s appearance, we had this feeling that maybe things weren’t working quite right.
After 5 months of trying, I scanned in my charts and emailed them to the nurse who had taught our NFP class who suggested an OBGYN who specialized in NFP. I made my first appointment and sat in the waiting room nervously wondering if he’d think I was totally overly anxious and wound too tight about the whole thing. It had only been 5 months! Medically you aren’t reproductively challenged until it has been a year. Thankfully he was amazingly patient and caring.
After some blood work, we discovered that I had one copy of the C677T mutation of the MTHFR gene. Just a little road bump that requires a cocktail of over the counter vitamins (Folic Acid, B12, B6) and baby aspirin. Because I have some limited mucus, he also suggested adding Mucinex. We checked my husbands boys and he was very relieved to find out that everything was perfect in that area.
The latest development the past two months is my fertility monitor has not picked up a peak day. Meaning quite likely that I did not ovulate. I may have Endometriosis. I am currently pondering the choices the doctor laid out – a) try Clomid for a few months to encourage ovulation or b) a laparoscopic surgery to check for and remove the Endometriosis. I’m not keen on surgery – even if it is out-patient, but don’t really want to waste any time. Decisions, decisions!
Through it all – I try to keep a sense of humor about the current circumstances and hope for the future! I look forward to sharing my journey with you!